Written by By Staff Writer
The Bosphorus geoglyphs, a collection of about 400 monumental stones spanning almost 350 feet in height, were built by Bosphorus alpars and the Celts during the Lyceum period between AD 795 and 800 AD.
The artfully-detailed dragons were monumental enough to keep them secret until the Syrian Phoenicians — who lived in the Levant at the same time — were finally able to decipher them in the 16th century.
The immediate site of Bosphorus geoglyphs is the coastal village of Upper Zakira, 14 miles east of the Turkish city of Antalya.
The first human consciousness is not remembered until the Phoenicians, who came to this area to hunt for gas and precious metals, first encountered the geoglyphs when they landed around the 11th century.
The local culture changed drastically as the Phoenicians took over and rulers (mostly Lyceum Period Coptic Christians) ordered the erection of more heads in the years that followed.
Here, in this more modern area, the number of Bosphorus geoglyphs slowly dwindled to just four stone heads.
On 1 May 1917, the government officially recognized these four headstones, as well as their position, as a UNESCO World Heritage Site.